In Search of Good Wine






Over the past couple of weeks I have discovered a few really yummy wines!


A lot of people forget about the Durbanville area when they think of going ‘wine tasting’, but there are three fabulous farms right next to one another that have incredible wines!


D’Aria wine farm (www.dariawinery.co.za) has an delicious and affordable red blend (Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot) called: MUSIC by D’Aria.

It goes for about R35 and won the 2009 double gold Michelangelo International Wine award.

They also do a fabulous Saprano Shiraz, which is a bit pricier at R120 but totally worth it for a special occasion.


Just next door is Bloemendal (www.bloemendalwines.co.za), which has an incredible sauvignon blanc. I spent the whole day drinking the semillion – which is fine – but when I tasted the Sauv-blanc, I wished I’d bought a bottle of that from the start. The Bloemendal 2006 goes for about R60 at the cellar, and has also been awarded a Michelangelo gold.


De Vallei Boutique wine farm (www.devallei.co.za) just a bit further down the road sports one of my most favourite reds: The De Vallei Syrah at R75 (Michelangelo gold)

I don’t normally drink rose, but I found the wine that made an exception to my rule: De Vallei Annerose at about R65 (Michelangelo gold)

In my books it’s not really a rose, and is more similar to another one of my favourites: the Haute Cabriere Chardonnay/ Pinot Noir – but I would say better!

And that’s because it is a Chardonnay (55%) and pinot noir (45%) blend.

Stock up your shelf with these and you’ll have a wine for every occasion – promise!!

Comments