Super easy home-made chicken curry

I know that people say you should never give out your curry recipes, and many people I know are reluctant to share tips with me, but I don’t mind sharing especially when it’s this simple and this delicious.


This recipe also rewarded the romantic and highly appreciated text message from my fiancĂ©: ‘This is curry is best curry I have ever eaten. Shit I love it!’


While this is super easy recipe, it is not super quick.

Set aside about an hour and a half before you would like to eat.

It is a very uncomplicated recipe and I make it probably once every two weeks. You can also substitute chicken for red meat or just veggies.

I do make it out of my head, so each time is slightly different, but this pretty much how it goes:


TIP: Buy your spices at Atlas Trading in Cape Town - they are the best :-)

Contact: Tel: +27 (0) 21 423 4361

94 Wale Street, Bo-Kaap, Cape Town


Ingredients:

A drizzle of Canola oil

1 Heaped TBS of butter

1 Large onion diced finely

2 Heaped Tbs of Atlas Trading’s Leaf Masala

1 tsp of Garam Masala

1 Heaped tsp Fresh ginger (finely chopped)

1 Heaped tsp Fresh garlic (finely chopped)

1 fresh med-hot chilli – optional

1 Tin Whole Roma Tomatoes (Woolies) or 4 Large fresh tomatoes diced.

A few strands of Saffron – optional

Salt and Pepper to taste

500g skinless chicken breasts

3 Large potatoes diced (I don’t like mine too big)

1 and a half Cups of water

1Tsp of sugar to taste

1 Heaped Tbs of smooth Apricot Jam

2 Tbs of plain yoghurt – optional

Fresh Coriander

Mrs Balls’ original/peach chutney – optional


First, peel and dice the potatoes, shove them in a glass dish with enough water and cook for 10minutes. (I don’t like my onions brown.)

Second, dice onions and fry up in oil for a couple minutes. Add butter and cook for a further five or so minutes.

Add Leaf masala and garam masala, stir for 2-3 minutes.

Add chilli, garlic and ginger, stir for 1 minute and add tomatoes. Cook for a couple minutes, add salt, pepper and saffron – stir and then add diced chicken.

Add in your cooked potatoes and the remaining water from the dish it was cooked in. Add more water if necessary.

Stir in the apricot jam and sugar (if neccassary). Let the curry reduce on a lower heat, stir occasionally.

Start the rice (I use basmati).

When the curry is nice and thick, turn all heat off, add the yoghurt, stir and let it sit for a few minutes before serving.

Serve with fresh coriander and a dollop of chutney.

Voila – that turn out right, if I have remembered to put everything down...

Please feel free to share your tips with me! Or send links to your own curry recipes.


Comments